Our Nutrition Programs
The dietitians on our cystic fibrosis team help patients meet their nutrition needs as they grow and during times of illness. Every Lebanon cystic fibrosis clinic visit may include a consultation with a dietitian, and a screening for nutrition concerns. A cystic fibrosis gastroenterologist also is available to all Cystic Fibrosis Program patients.
We offer a yearly nutrition evaluation, in which a clinical dietitian assesses a patient's nutritional needs, develops and implements nutrition programs, and evaluates and reports the results. The dietitian coordinates a patient's medical and nutritional needs with doctors and other healthcare professionals. During an evaluation:
- The patient is asked what foods and portion sizes he or she usually eats. Answers are compared to estimated needs for calories, calcium and other nutrients.
- Height and weight are recorded and Body Mass Index is calculated. These measurements are compared to standard growth charts or ideal body weight charts to assess growth.
- Skin-fold thickness is measured to assess body fat stores, and then compared to standards for age.
- Enzyme and vitamin doses are evaluated, and any problems are discussed.
- Finally, the patient is given suggestions on ways to better meet their nutritional needs.
- About Us
- Patient Stories
- Living With Cystic Fibrosis
- Clinical Trials and Research
- Links and Resources
- Cystic Fibrosis Patient and Family Advisory and Advocacy Committee
- Our Team
- Other Team Members
- More Appointment Information