Skip to main content
Children's Hospital at Dartmouth Hitchcock (CHad)
In This Section

Health Care Team

Here is a comprehensive list of who's who. Not everyone will be on every patient's healthcare team, but we think it's important for you to know the staff you see here at CHaD.


At CHaD we believe in patient- and family-centered care. That means the patient and family are members of the health care team. We value and respect your input in care decisions, and include you in our daily planning.


  • Attending Physician: A staff doctor who has completed all medical education, considered to be the senior staff member responsible for patient care.
  • Resident/House Officer: A doctor who is completing specialty training. A first year resident is also known as an intern.
  • Medical Student: A college graduate who is studying to be a doctor. Medical school involves four years of academic and clinical education. Medical student work is supervised by staff physicians.
  • Nurse Practitioner (PNP): A nurse with a master's degree that requires two years of additional nursing training. PNPs are trained to provide extended nursing services in a primary care setting, which includes performing physical exams and prescribing medications.
  • Physician Assistant (PA): A medical professional who usually has a background in a health-related field plus two years of additional training in medical sciences. PAs provide patient care services under the supervision of a licensed physician.


  • Registered Nurse (RN): The registered nurse with a college degree specializing in the care of children. Generally an RN serves as coordinator of your child's treatment plan, administers medication, and starts I.V. lines. A group of nurses who belong to the I.V. Team assist the pediatric nursing staff with starting intravenous lines and obtaining blood work as needed.
  • Nurse Manager: The nurse responsible for the daily management, operations, and oversight of the staff nurses and support staff.
  • Clinical Nurse Specialist: A nurse with a master's degree who oversees nursing practice and provides consultation to nurses and patients.
  • Clinical Nurse Educators: A nurse with a master's degree who implements orientation, yearly educational programs and support to nursing staff.
  • Nursing Director: The nurse responsible for oversight and staffing of CHaD inpatient nursing staff. The Nursing Director is a member of CHaD's leadership team.
  • Clinical Resource Coordinator (CRC-RN): The nurse who helps coordinate your care during the hospital stay from admission to discharge. The CRC also makes arrangements for home care and transfers to other care facilities or hospitals.
  • Patient Care Tech: A nurse's aide who has received specialized training and is certified in patient care. Responsibilities include assistance with personal needs such as toileting, food and fluid intake, bathing, and walking. They also are trained to draw blood.


  • Physical Therapist (PT): Has a minimum of a college degree and frequently a master's degree. Involved in diagnosis, evaluation, planning, and implementation of treatment in the area of patient mobility, physical growth and development, and rehabilitation.
  • Occupational Therapist (OT): Has a minimum of a college degree and may have a master's degree. Involved in diagnosis, evaluation, planning, and implementation of treatment in the area of functional ability, fine motor, perceptual motor, sensory and visual development, and rehabilitation.
  • Respiratory Therapist (RT): Has a college degree with specialized education in cardiopulmonary (heart and lung) issues. Frequently will manage and maintain high-tech equipment used to treat a patient with breathing difficulties.
  • Speech and Language Pathologist (SLP): Has a minimum of a college degree and frequently has a master's degree. Involved in the diagnosis, evaluation, planning, and implementation of treatment in the area of speech, language, and hearing.
  • Nutritionist/Dietitian: Has a minimum of a college degree and may have a master's degree. Uses his or her knowledge of nutrition to educate patients and family members about nutritional needs.


  • Child Life Specialists: Have either college or master’s degrees and are involved in the psychosocial and developmental needs of children and families in the health care setting. Responsibilities include supporting children and families throughout the hospitalization.
  • Pharmacist: A specialist in the science of drugs. Pharmacists have a degree in pharmacy and work in hospitals, HMOs, and independent pharmacies. They dispense prescription drugs with MD, NP, PA, or dentist orders.
  • Social Workers: Most social workers have a master’s degree (MSW). Social workers help families cope with the impact of illness or injury. They can help arrange financial and legal help, provide grief counseling, and refer families to resources in their home community.
  • Chaplaincy: Clergy men and women who focus on the spiritual and religious needs of patients and families in the hospital.
  • Health Technicians: There are a variety of technicians in the health care field. They usually have a B.S. or one to two years of specialized training in an area of health care. Those technicians who hold a master’s degree are usually involved in supervision.
  • Support Services: There are many support services and community health centers, including environmental services such as maintenance and housekeeping, food services, transportation, medical record keeping, medical library services, and volunteer departments.