Genetic Counseling Clinic
Genetic counselors provide information and support to families who have members with genetic disorders and to families who may be at risk for a variety of inherited conditions.
Patients referred to our Genetic Counseling Clinic will meet with a licensed genetic counselor who will review the medical and family histories, review information and management for the genetic disorder, analyze inheritance patterns, explain risks and review available testing options.
Our genetic counselors also provide supportive counseling to families, serve as patient advocates and help families find resources and support services.
Examples of indications for the Genetic Counseling Clinic include a personal or family history of a genetic condition such as:
- Abnormal newborn screening result
- Abnormal genetic testing results
- Alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency
- Cardiac disorders including arrhythmias and cardiomyopathies
- Chromosome conditions
- Coagulation disorders
- Cystic fibrosis
- Deafness in infancy and childhood
- Huntington's disease
- Inherited ataxias
- Muscular dystrophy
- Neuropathy disorders, such as Charcot Marie Tooth
- Rare genetic disorders