If your car seat isn't installed properly, your child's safety could be in danger. Every child safety seat has different installation instructions.
Tips for installing a child safety seat properly
- Watch the NHTSA videos for the type of car seat you are installing.
- Read the instruction manual and your vehicle owner's manual in child safety seat installation. Use either the lower anchors of the LATCH system or a seat belt to secure the seat in place.
- Place the child safety seat in the back seat of your vehicle. Follow instructions in manuals.
- Installation must be tight. Check this at the path of the seat belt or the lower anchor strap. The child safety seat should not move more than one inch side to side or front to back.
- Use the top tether for a forward-facing seat with a harness. This will reduce movement of the top of the child safety seat.
- When using a rear-facing seat, make sure the angle for the seat is appropriate. Follow the manufacturer's guidelines.