Telephones and making calls
- You can make local calls free of charge using the bedside telephone.
- To make a long distance call, you can use a cell phone or a calling card.
- Cell phone reception is variable. You may find that standing close to a window may help. There are pay phones near the elevators.
Television, VCRs, and DVDs
- The bedside remote turns on the television and VCR. There is a wide selection of movies for you to watch (DVD players are available).
- Movies are located near the PICU public bathroom (please see the Unit map).
- If you have your own laptop, you can apply for wireless access at no charge.
- The PICU has laptops for patients, and when available, for family use. Please ask your nurse.
- Many of the rooms have a white board that you can use to write down questions you want to remember to ask the Unit team.
- Please write your child's name on the board, especially if they have a nickname they prefer.
- If it is helpful for you to remember, we can write the names of your doctors, nurses, and nursing assistants on the board. Please just let us know.
Rooms have a hand held call button on the television remote control.
Use the call button in the room to alert the nursing staff about an immediate patient.
- Mail is delivered twice a day during the week.
- To mail a letter, give the letter to your nurse, who will put it in our "out" box.
- If mail arrives after you have gone home, it will be forwarded to your home.
- In the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, patient meals arrive around 7:45 am, 11:30 am, and 4:45 pm.
- If the meal tray doesn't arrive in your room, please check outside your room or ask your nurse. If you are a breastfeeding mother of a patient less than six months of age, please check with your nurse about food for you.
- The Patient & Family Kitchen has a supply of drinks and snacks available at all times. If you bring your own food, please label it with your name and date.
- The unit has a breast pump with supplies available when needed.but it's a good idea to bring your own, including equipment and cleaning supplies for our equipment.
- For more information about other dining options, see Cafeterias & Other Dining Options on the Dartmouth-Hitchcock website.