Research and Scholarly Activity
Each of our residents is expected to complete a scholarly project during his or her three years at CHaD. Resident projects are diverse and impressive, and encompass all areas of academic work, including basic sciences, healthcare delivery, translational research, educational research, and advocacy.
Each resident is able to pursue his or her area of interest with close faculty mentorship. All of our residents present Grand Rounds in their third year of residency; this is an opportunity to disseminate work to the department and beyond, and the resident Grand Rounds series is always exceptional. Many of our residents also present their work at regional or national meetings, and a number contribute to publications during their residency.
Our scholarly activity curriculum, consisting of conference based-educational sessions, journal clubs, and structured assignments to gain skills in literature search and critical appraisal, is a longitudinal component of our resident education and provides ongoing exposure to academic inquiry. This curriculum, paired with the invaluable experiences acquired through the process of conducting a scholarly project, builds a solid foundation for all our residents both to practice evidence based medicine in the clinical setting and to pursue further academic endeavors.
Selected resident presentations and publications
- Miller PK, Zain-Ul-Abideen M, Paul J, Perry AE, Linos K, Carter JB, et al. A case of eczema coxsackium with erythema multiforme-like histopathology in a 14-year-old boy with chronic graft-versus-host disease. JAAD Case Rep. 2017;3(1):49-52.
- Garlick V, O'Connor A, Shubkin CD. High-altitude illness in the pediatric population: a review of the literature on prevention and treatment. Current opinion in pediatrics. 2017.
- Brooks CG, Harrison WN, Ralston SL. Association Between Hypertonic Saline and Hospital Length of Stay in Acute Viral Bronchiolitis: A Reanalysis of 2 Meta-analyses. JAMA pediatrics. 2016;170(6):577-584
- Beaton A, Shubkin CD, Chapman S. Addressing substance misuse in adolescents: a review of the literature on the screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment model. Current opinion in pediatrics. 2016;28(2):258-265
- House SA, Goodman DC, Weinstein SJ, Chang CH, Wasserman JR, Morden NE. Prescription Use among Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders in Northern New England: Intensity and Small Area Variation. The Journal of pediatrics. 2016;169:277-283 e272
- Atwood EC, Sollender G, Hsu E, Arsnow C, Flanagan V, Celenza J, et al. A Qualitative Study of Family Experience With Hospitalization for Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome. Hospital pediatrics. 2016;6(10):626-632
- Shaker M, Lorigiano TH, Vadlamudi A. Xq22.1 contiguous gene deletion syndrome of X-linked agammaglobulinemia and Mohr-Tranebjaerg syndrome. Annals of allergy, asthma & immunology. 2016;116(6):578-579
- Lostumbo M, House S. Oral Versus Parenteral Antibiotics for Osteoarticular Infections: You PICC. Hospital pediatrics. 2016;6(7):434-436
- Behere SP, Weindling SN. Inherited arrhythmias: The cardiac channelopathies. Annals of pediatric cardiology. 2015;8(3):210-220
- Vadlamudi A, Shaker M. New developments in allergen immunotherapy. Current opinion in pediatrics. 2015;27(5):649-655
- Laudone J. It's all fun and games until somebody shoots his eye out. Hospital pediatrics. 2014;4(4):264-266
- Weinstein SJ, House SA, Chang CH, Wasserman JR, Goodman DC, Morden NE. Small geographic area variations in prescription drug use. Pediatrics. 2014;134(3):563-570
- Milner TL, Gomez Mendez LM. Stevens-Johnson syndrome, mucositis, or something else? Hospital pediatrics. 2014;4(1):54-57
- Behere SP, Shubkin CD, Weindling SN. Recent advances in the understanding and management of long QT syndrome. Current opinion in pediatrics. 2014;26(6):727-733
- Subramaniam S, Rutman MS, Wenger JK. A papulopustular, vesicular, crusted rash in a 4-week-old neonate. Pediatric emergency care. 2013;29(11):1210-1212.
- House S, Loud K, Shubkin C. Female athlete triad for the primary care pediatrician. Current opinion in pediatrics. 2013;25(6):755-761
- Behere S, Garber MD. Community-acquired pneumonia: judicious use of antibiotics or treatment failure? Hospital pediatrics. 2013;3(2):180-181
- Bingham S, Beaulieu-Jones B, Rutman M, Baertschiger R. Pediatric PAUSE does not prolong ED stay for most patients undergoing trauma evaluation. Accepted for platform presentation at the Pediatric Trauma Society meeting, November 2017.
- Lostumbo M, Leyse J, Donovan M, Palumbo P, Shubkin C. HIV Screening in a Primary Care Setting. Poster, Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, May 2017.
- Lorigiano T, Vadlamudi A, Shaker M. A Case of Mohr-Tranebjaerg syndrome diagnosed in a patient with X-linked agammaglobulinemia. Poster presentation, American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Meeting March 2016.
- Brooks CG, Harrison WN, Ralston SL. Meta-Analysis of Hypertonic Saline in Bronchiolitis. Platform presentation, Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, May 2016.
- Arsnow, C and Shipman, S. Shared Care in Pediatrics: Optimizing Co-Management by Primary Care and Subspecialty Physicians. Poster, Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, May 2016.
- Schulmeister, C. Cohen, S. Sullivan, K. Hartman, T. National Registry of Neonatal High-Risk Follow Up Clinics. Poster, New England Follow Up Collaborative Conference, Bretton Woods, NH. March 2016.
- Atwood, E; Hsu, E; Sollender, G; Arsnow, C; Flanagan, V; Swasey, E; Celenza, J; Whalen, B; Holmes, A. Improving Family Centered Care Through Greater Understanding: A Qualitative Study of Family Experience with Hospitalization of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome. Platform Presentation, Pediatric Hospital Medicine Meeting, July 2015.
- Arsnow, C, Holmes, A, Braga, M. A Sleepy Baby with a Stuffy Nose- Adenovirus Encephalopathy. Poster, Pediatric Hospital Medicine Meeting, July 2015.
- Reynolds, K. Too Young to Choose? Sex and Consent in Adolescents. Platform presentation, PediatricAcademic Societies Meeting, May 2014.
- About the Residency Program
- Facilities and Units
- Current Residents
- Program Graduates
- Life in the Upper Valley
- Application Process and Contact Information