CHaD provides many spaces for children and families to relax and play, whether they are staying in the hospital or visiting for the day.
Spaces in the Pediatric and Adolescent Inpatient Unit
These spaces in the Pediatric and Adolescent Inpatient Unit are for pediatric inpatients and their families and visitors only:
- Camp CHaD: Camp CHaD happens daily at our red table outside playroom. Camp CHaD consists of group activities provided by the Child Life Specialist or CHaD volunteers. Activities can be anything from making slime to baking cookies.
- D'Barn: This area of the unit is designed for our tweens. D'Barn has a TV with movies, DVDs, and video games.
- Family lounge: The family lounge is for inpatients, but also serves as a waiting area for the CHaD PainFree Program. This lounge is located just beyond the double doors to the Pediatric/Adolescent Unit. It is never closed. In the lounge you'll find a vending machine, television, public access computer, and snacks provided by David's House.
- The playroom: A place for all patients. There are toys for children, board games, music, and arts and crafts. Kids can play in the playroom or bring anything from the playroom into their own room. The playroom requires parent/guardian supervision at all times. The playroom is designed to be a happy place for children. We have asked our staff to keep in mind that medical conversations happen best in the patient’s room, not in the playroom.
- The teen lounge: The teen lounge is a room especially designed for kids aged 13 to 19 years. Teens can hang out in the lounge to watch movies on the big screen, play XBOX 360, use the internet, play board games, or just have fun with visitors and other teenage patients. All teen movies are kept in the teen lounge.
Space for all families
These spaces are open to all families who are visiting CHaD:
- CHaD Family Center / Molly's Place: CHaD Family Center / Molly's Place is located on Level 6 of the Faulkner Building. It is open Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. The CHaD Family Center welcomes children and parents to enjoy its play areas, books, internet access, a lending library and friendly staff. Children need to be accompanied by an adult. The CHaD Family Center also provides coffee hours on the Pediatric and Adolescent Inpatient Unit.
- Outdoor playground: Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (DHMC) in Lebanon, NH, has an outdoor playground close to the DHMC cafeteria on Level 2. This is a welcome resource for siblings and children able to go out for a walk in good weather.
- Indoor and outdoor walking paths: When you are at DHMC, you can take walks within the building on the different levels. The grounds of DHMC include two outdoor walking paths. Please refer to the Art, Music & Walking Paths page on the Dartmouth-Hitchcock website for more information and maps.