Each of our residents is expected to complete a scholarly project during his or her three years at CHaD. Resident projects are diverse and encompass all areas of academic work, including basic sciences, healthcare delivery, translational research, educational research, and advocacy.
Each resident is able to pursue his or her area of interest with close faculty mentorship. All of our residents present Grand Rounds in their third year of residency; this is an opportunity to disseminate work to the department and beyond. Many of our residents also present their work at regional or national meetings, and a number contribute to publications during their residency.
Our scholarly activity curriculum, consisting of conference based-educational sessions, journal clubs, and structured assignments to gain skills in literature search and critical appraisal, is a longitudinal component of our resident education and provides ongoing exposure to academic inquiry. This curriculum, paired with the invaluable experiences acquired through the process of conducting a scholarly project, builds a solid foundation for all our residents both to practice evidence based medicine in the clinical setting and to pursue further academic endeavors.
Selected resident presentations and publications
- Coles CB, Shubkin CD. Effective, recommended, underutilized: a review of the literature on barriers to adolescent usage of long-acting reversible contraceptive methods. Current opinion in pediatrics. 2018 Oct;30(5)683-688
- Kilmartin KC, Finn D, Hawkes GA, Kenosi M, Dempsey EM, Livingstone V, Ryan AC. Corrective Ventilation Strategies in Delivery Room Resuscitation of Preterm Infants. Acta Paediatr. 2018 Sep 7. Epub ahead of print.
- Shaker M, Kanaoka T, Murray RGP, Toy D, Shaker S, Drew A. A survey of caregiver perspectives on emergency epinephrine autoinjector sharing. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2018 Sep-Oct;6(5):1792-1795
- Shaker M, Murray RGP, Mann JA. The ins and outs of an ‘outside-in’ view of allergies: atopic dermatitis and allergy prevention. Current opinion in pediatrics. 2018 Aug;30(4):576-581
- MacMillan KDL, Rendon CP, Verma K, Riblet N, Washer DB, Volpe Holmes A. Association of Rooming-in with outcomes for neonatal abstinence syndrome: A systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA Pediatrics. 2018 April 1;172(4):345-351
- Chernikova DA, Madan JC, Housman ML, Zain-Ul-Abideen M, Lundgren SN, Morrison HG, Sogin Ml, Williams SM, Moore JH, Karagas MR, Hoen AG. The premature infant gut microbiome during the first 6 weeks of life differes based on gestational maturity at birth. Pedatric Res. 2018 July;84(1):71-79
- MacMillan KDL, Holmes AV. Neonatal abstinency syndrome and the pediatric hospitalist: 5 years later. Hospital Pediatrics. 2018 Jan;8(1):51-52<
- Miller PK, Zain-Ul-Abideen M, Paul J, Perry AE, Linos K, Carter JB, et al. A case of eczema coxsackium with erythema multiforme-like histopathology in a 14-year-old boy with chronic graft-versus-host disease. JAAD Case Rep. 2017;3(1):49-52.
- Garlick V, O'Connor A, Shubkin CD. High-altitude illness in the pediatric population: a review of the literature on prevention and treatment. Current opinion in pediatrics. 2017.
- Brooks CG, Harrison WN, Ralston SL. Association Between Hypertonic Saline and Hospital Length of Stay in Acute Viral Bronchiolitis: A Reanalysis of 2 Meta-analyses. JAMA pediatrics. 2016;170(6):577-584
- Beaton A, Shubkin CD, Chapman S. Addressing substance misuse in adolescents: a review of the literature on the screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment model. Current opinion in pediatrics. 2016;28(2):258-265
- House SA, Goodman DC, Weinstein SJ, Chang CH, Wasserman JR, Morden NE. Prescription Use among Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders in Northern New England: Intensity and Small Area Variation. The Journal of pediatrics. 2016;169:277-283 e272
- Atwood EC, Sollender G, Hsu E, Arsnow C, Flanagan V, Celenza J, et al. A Qualitative Study of Family Experience With Hospitalization for Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome. Hospital pediatrics. 2016;6(10):626-632
- Shaker M, Lorigiano TH, Vadlamudi A. Xq22.1 contiguous gene deletion syndrome of X-linked agammaglobulinemia and Mohr-Tranebjaerg syndrome. Annals of allergy, asthma & immunology. 2016;116(6):578-579
- Lostumbo M, House S. Oral Versus Parenteral Antibiotics for Osteoarticular Infections: You PICC. Hospital pediatrics. 2016;6(7):434-436
- Behere SP, Weindling SN. Inherited arrhythmias: The cardiac channelopathies. Annals of pediatric cardiology. 2015;8(3):210-220
- Vadlamudi A, Shaker M. New developments in allergen immunotherapy. Current opinion in pediatrics. 2015;27(5):649-655
- Laudone J. It's all fun and games until somebody shoots his eye out. Hospital pediatrics. 2014;4(4):264-266
- Weinstein SJ, House SA, Chang CH, Wasserman JR, Goodman DC, Morden NE. Small geographic area variations in prescription drug use. Pediatrics. 2014;134(3):563-570
- Milner TL, Gomez Mendez LM. Stevens-Johnson syndrome, mucositis, or something else? Hospital pediatrics. 2014;4(1):54-57
- Behere SP, Shubkin CD, Weindling SN. Recent advances in the understanding and management of long QT syndrome. Current opinion in pediatrics. 2014;26(6):727-733
- Subramaniam S, Rutman MS, Wenger JK. A papulopustular, vesicular, crusted rash in a 4-week-old neonate. Pediatric emergency care. 2013;29(11):1210-1212.
- House S, Loud K, Shubkin C. Female athlete triad for the primary care pediatrician. Current opinion in pediatrics. 2013;25(6):755-761
- Behere S, Garber MD. Community-acquired pneumonia: judicious use of antibiotics or treatment failure? Hospital pediatrics. 2013;3(2):180-181
Regional and national presentations
- Schulmeister C, Charest N. Longitudinal mental health surveillance of transgender patients. Poster, Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Toronto, CA, May 2018.
- Hartman S, Braga M, Zhao W, Shubkin C. Etonogestrel problem bleeding and discontinuation in adolescents at a rural pediatric clinic. Poster, Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine meeting, Seattle, WA, March 2018.
- Bingham S, Beaulieu-Jones B, Rutman M, Baertschiger R. Pediatric PAUSE does not prolong ED stay for most patients undergoing trauma evaluation. Accepted for platform presentation at the Pediatric Trauma Society meeting, November 2017.
- Lostumbo M, Leyse J, Donovan M, Palumbo P, Shubkin C. HIV Screening in a Primary Care Setting. Poster, Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, May 2017.
- Lorigiano T, Vadlamudi A, Shaker M. A Case of Mohr-Tranebjaerg syndrome diagnosed in a patient with X-linked agammaglobulinemia. Poster presentation, American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Meeting March 2016.
- Brooks CG, Harrison WN, Ralston SL. Meta-Analysis of Hypertonic Saline in Bronchiolitis. Platform presentation, Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, May 2016.
- Arsnow, C and Shipman, S. Shared Care in Pediatrics: Optimizing Co-Management by Primary Care and Subspecialty Physicians. Poster, Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, May 2016.
- Schulmeister, C. Cohen, S. Sullivan, K. Hartman, T. National Registry of Neonatal High-Risk Follow Up Clinics. Poster, New England Follow Up Collaborative Conference, Bretton Woods, NH. March 2016.
- Atwood, E; Hsu, E; Sollender, G; Arsnow, C; Flanagan, V; Swasey, E; Celenza, J; Whalen, B; Holmes, A. Improving Family Centered Care Through Greater Understanding: A Qualitative Study of Family Experience with Hospitalization of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome. Platform Presentation, Pediatric Hospital Medicine Meeting, July 2015.
- Arsnow, C, Holmes, A, Braga, M. A Sleepy Baby with a Stuffy Nose- Adenovirus Encephalopathy. Poster, Pediatric Hospital Medicine Meeting, July 2015.
- Reynolds, K. Too Young to Choose? Sex and Consent in Adolescents. Platform presentation, PediatricAcademic Societies Meeting, May 2014.