Each of our residents is expected to complete a scholarly project during his or her three years at Children's Hospital at Dartmouth-Hitchcock (CHaD). Resident projects are diverse and encompass all areas of academic work, including clinical and translational research, healthcare delivery science, educational research, advocacy, and quality improvement.
Each resident is able to pursue his or her area of interest with close faculty mentorship. Strong mentorship, departmental funding, and support for scholarly work are all central to our curriculum. A majority of our residents present their work at regional or national meetings, and many contribute to publications during their residency. Additionally, all of our residents present Grand Rounds in their third year of residency; this is an opportunity to highlight their scholarly work for the department.
Our scholarly activity curriculum, consisting of conference based-educational sessions, journal clubs, and structured assignments to gain skills in literature search and critical appraisal, is a longitudinal component of our resident education providing ongoing exposure to academic inquiry. This curriculum, paired with the invaluable experiences acquired through the process of conducting a scholarly project, builds a solid foundation for all our residents both to practice evidence-based medicine in the clinical setting and to pursue further academic endeavors.
Selected resident presentations and publications
Below is a sampling of resident projects completed over the past five years. If you have a particular area of interest you don’t see represented in this list, please feel free to ask for examples of projects completed in that area.
- Kilmartin KC, McCarty EJ, Shubkin CD, Holmes AV. Reducing Outpatient Infant Blood Draws with Transcutaneous Measurement of Bilirubin. Pediatr Qual Saf. 2020;5(4):e335.
- Reynolds ME, Murray RGP, House SA. An Infant Presenting With Fever and Thrombocytopenia. The Pediatric infectious disease journal. 2020;39(8):771-773.
- Breslin K, Balaban J, Shubkin CD. Adolescent suicide: what can pediatricians do? Current opinion in pediatrics. 2020;32(4):595-600.
- Coles CB, Shubkin CD. Effective, recommended, underutilized: A review of the literature on barriers to adolescent usage of long-acting reversible contraceptive methods. Current opinion in pediatrics. 2018 Oct;30(5)683-688
- Shaker M, Kanaoka T, Murray RGP, Toy D, Shaker S, Drew A. A survey of caregiver perspectives on emergency epinephrine autoinjector sharing. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2018 Sep-Oct;6(5):1792-1795
- Shaker M, Murray RGP, Mann JA. The ins and outs of an ‘outside-in’ view of allergies: atopic dermatitis and allergy prevention. Current opinion in pediatrics. 2018 Aug;30(4):576-581
- MacMillan KDL, Rendon CP, Verma K, Riblet N, Washer DB, Volpe Holmes A. Association of Rooming-in with outcomes for neonatal abstinence syndrome: A systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA Pediatrics. 2018 April 1;172(4):345-351
- Chernikova DA, Madan JC, Housman ML, Zain-Ul-Abideen M, Lundgren SN, Morrison HG, Sogin Ml, Williams SM, Moore JH, Karagas MR, Hoen AG. The premature infant gut microbiome during the first 6 weeks of life differs based on gestational maturity at birth. Pedatric Res. 2018 July;84(1):71-79
- MacMillan KDL, Holmes AV. Neonatal abstinence syndrome and the pediatric hospitalist: 5 years later. Hospital Pediatrics. 2018 Jan;8(1):51-52.
- Miller PK, Zain-Ul-Abideen M, Paul J, Perry AE, Linos K, Carter JB, et al. A case of eczema coxsackium with erythema multiforme-like histopathology in a 14-year-old boy with chronic graft-versus-host disease. JAAD Case Rep. 2017;3(1):49-52.
- Garlick V, O'Connor A, Shubkin CD. High-altitude illness in the pediatric population: a review of the literature on prevention and treatment. Current opinion in pediatrics. 2017.
- Brooks CG, Harrison WN, Ralston SL. Association Between Hypertonic Saline and Hospital Length of Stay in Acute Viral Bronchiolitis: A Reanalysis of 2 Meta-analyses. JAMA pediatrics. 2016;170(6):577-584
- Beaton A, Shubkin CD, Chapman S. Addressing substance misuse in adolescents: a review of the literature on the screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment model. Current opinion in pediatrics. 2016;28(2):258-265
- House SA, Goodman DC, Weinstein SJ, Chang CH, Wasserman JR, Morden NE. Prescription Use among Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders in Northern New England: Intensity and Small Area Variation. The Journal of pediatrics. 2016;169:277-283 e272
- Atwood EC, Sollender G, Hsu E, Arsnow C, Flanagan V, Celenza J, et al. A Qualitative Study of Family Experience With Hospitalization for Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome. Hospital pediatrics. 2016;6(10):626-632
- Shaker M, Lorigiano TH, Vadlamudi A. Xq22.1 contiguous gene deletion syndrome of X-linked agammaglobulinemia and Mohr-Tranebjaerg syndrome. Annals of allergy, asthma & immunology. 2016;116(6):578-579
- Lostumbo M, House S. Oral Versus Parenteral Antibiotics for Osteoarticular Infections: You PICC. Hospital pediatrics. 2016;6(7):434-436
Regional and national presentations
- Truelove J, Leyenaar J, House S, Freed G, Leslie LK. Factors associated with pediatric hospitalists' intent to pursue subspeciality certification in pediatric hospital medicine. Oral presentation, Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, May 2020.
- Schlogl J, Whatley C, Aldrich-Walton A, Whalen B, Holmes A. Successful reduction of newborn falls on a mother-baby unit. Poster, Pediatric Academic Societies and Academic Pediatric Association Conference for Pediatric Quality Improvement Methods, Research and Evaluation, Philadelphia, PA, May 2020
- Truelove JJ, Carrol L, Bradley J, Kilmartin K, House S. A resident-led quality improvement initiative to increase nursing presence on inpatient rounds. Poster, Pediatric Academic Societies and Academic Pediatric Association Conference for Pediatric Quality Improvement Methods, Research and Evaluation, Philadelphia, PA, May 2020
- Mamolea C, Liu C, Kong L, Fussell M, Gill H, Nett S, Slogic S, Braga M. Emergency airway outcomes outside critical care units at a rural academic tertiary care hospital. Oral presentation, Society for Critical Care Medicine Conference, Orlando, FL, Feb 2020.
- Murray R, Kong L, Braga M, Fussell M, Gill H, Slogic S, Nett S. Life safety nurse consult: A Unique role in our rapid response program. Oral presentation, Society for Critical Care Medicine Conference, Orlando, FL, Feb 2020.
- Truelove J, Murray R, Tanski S, Chapman S. Addressing the oral health of families in an underserved, rural community. Poster, American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference and Exhibition, New Orleans, LA, October 2019.
- Newton, ZJ, Altemose KE, Pettus JR, Weinstein AR. The clinical manifestations, treatments, and outcomes of pediatric patients with Henoch-Schonlein Purpura (HSP) requiring renal biopsy. Poster, Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Baltimore, MD, April 2019.
- LeWinter E, Dev A, Wright P. Neonatal Rates of Anemia in the NICU Population, Les Cayes, Haiti. Poster, Academic Pediatric Association Region 1 Meeting, Waltham, MA, March 2019.
- Kilmartin K, Hartman M, Hartman T. Predictors of outpatient follow up following neonatal intensive care unit admission in very preterm infants. Oral presentation, Irish and American Pediatric Society meeting, September 2018
- Schulmeister C, Charest N. Longitudinal mental health surveillance of transgender patients. Poster, Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Toronto, CA, May 2018.
- Hartman S, Braga M, Zhao W, Shubkin C. Etonogestrel problem bleeding and discontinuation in adolescents at a rural pediatric clinic. Poster, Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine meeting, Seattle, WA, March 2018.
- Bingham S, Beaulieu-Jones B, Rutman M, Baertschiger R. Pediatric PAUSE does not prolong ED stay for most patients undergoing trauma evaluation. Oral presentation, Pediatric Trauma Society meeting, November 2017.
- Lostumbo M, Leyse J, Donovan M, Palumbo P, Shubkin C. HIV Screening in a Primary Care Setting. Poster, Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, May 2017.
- Lorigiano T, Vadlamudi A, Shaker M. A Case of Mohr-Tranebjaerg syndrome diagnosed in a patient with X-linked agammaglobulinemia. Poster presentation, American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Meeting March 2016.
- Arsnow, C and Shipman, S. Shared Care in Pediatrics: Optimizing Co-Management by Primary Care and Subspecialty Physicians. Poster, Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, May 2016.
News articles and other publications
- Moriarty A. My Turn: Paid family medical leave and COVID-19. The Concord Monitor. March 2020.
- Felek S. The war and the remedy. American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Bioethics, 2nd place winner, 2019 Essay Contest.
- Goronga FP, Felek S. The anti-racist pediatrician. New Hampshire American Academy of Pediatrics Newsletter. Spring 2020.